Bruce L. Bergman

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 10:56:25 GMT, Bert wrote:

I would like to plug a 220V welder into my dryer outlet, since that is
the only 220V outlet I have. But the house I'm renting is old enough
that the dryer outlet is a hot-hot-neutral outlet with no separate
ground. Would there be any problem (either in terms of the electrical
code or in terms of risk to myself or the equipment or the house) with
using the neutral wire as the grounding wire for the welder?

You can use that 3-wire circuit, since there is no neutral load
(120V devices) in any welders I've seen. The neutral wire is bonded
to ground at the main panel, so for all practical purposes they're the
same thing - but they don't want you connecting any load returns (like
the dryer drum light or the oven light) to the safety ground.

All new installs are supposed to be 4-wire with separate neutral and
ground. Old installs are grandfathered as-is, but you can change
them over to 4-wire if you want, and can (if they're in conduit or you
have 4-wire Romex in the walls).

Of
course, I'll need a plug adaptor -- I thought I'd use a 3-wire dryer
cord and connect the pigtails to an outlet matching the welder plug.

Will work fine - but make sure the breaker is rated to protect the
wires, don't change it out for a larger one. And if you crank the
welder up all the way and start laying big beads, you might trip it
out.

If the main panel is convenient to the garage and has some capacity
left, you can add your own 50A welder receptacle - unless you have an
oddball main panel like a Zinsco or ITE Pushmatic, it can be done for
under $50 in parts. Just use a short piece of flex conduit and put a
surface mount plug below the panel - or if the panel is on the outside
of the garage wall, use a nipple out the back of the panel can, and
surface mount a 4S box right behind it in the garage.

Buy the breaker seal and knockout plug now, and you can remove it
all fast and plug the holes when you move. Or just remove the breaker
and receptacle and blank off the new 4S box, leave the box so the next
renter can use it.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545