On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:43:15 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Hamilton Audio wrote:
I've got a montreal-style bilevel home where the driveway runs down
and towards the house at a good slope. I have retaining walls on
either side where the driveway goes below grade.

In the springtime, as the temps get warm enough to let the sun melt
snow/ice at the top of the driveway and the grass, it runs down the
driveway as gravity would have it do....but as it gets past the
retaining walls (where the sun cannot get to, at any time of the day)
it re-freezes.
sort of like an ice dam on a roof, but at the base of my driveway. I
had to use an air-chisel and break away large pieces of ice in the
early spring to keep it clear....

I am thinking about laying down a set of roof de-icing cables across
the area to keep it thawed permanently. any thoughts? is it ok to
be driving on these wires?

No, you will damage the wires. They don't expect cars to drove over
them on the roof. :-)

But ar rated for sleigh and deer traffic. :-p

I know they dont' get "hot" per se,
barely warm I know...but will I be doing damage to them by driving on
them?? are there any more appropriate products for such a task?

bmoney

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com