Hamilton Audio

wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:27:52 -0500,
wrote:
I would think they would not hold up to driving on either. I'd use a
GFI outlet to protect yourself if you do use them. I do not know of
any permanent solution other than tearing up the driveway and
installing heating coils under the pavement. Otherwise, buy lots of
sand/salt or chemical deicer.

I did the chemical de-icer last year and it helped....but did irreversible
damage to the concrete trough drain in front of the garage pad....basically
destroyed it. it needed redo-ing, and was a great excuse. but now that its
fresh concrete ($500 and a full days work later) I don't want to again for a
long time! so the salt is out of the question.

the element of removing it once its created isnt really a problem. my air
chisel hitting on the right angle peels it up reasonably well. but its
painful crappy work i'd rather not do.

the previous owner left me a long length of pre-terminated single strand
heating cable that is used to leave in the trough drain to keep it flowing
during the several weeks of spring where freeze-thaw cycles cause it to
build up ice and block up. it works pretty well....I wonder if I could get
some of this to drive over?

i wonder if I could rig up a permanent (but flexible) structure to tie the
roof de-icing cables to in a good pattern that I could lay on the ice during
the day...just move the structure/wires before entering the garage at nite.
seems to me the little bit of pain in the a$$ this incurs up front will
limit the need for really painful ice chipping later....anybody have any
wicked thoughts on a foldable or collapsible structure i could tie the wires
to in a grid pattern? I was thinking a piece of heavier gauge hardware
cloth? just roll it up after...since all the wires will be tie-wrapped to
it solidly....

bmoney