D. J. Dorn

I wish I rememberd the part numbers - but they were inexpensive ( I think
around $10 for both) and had the tech told me about the merits of the
bearing system, I would have politely asked him for the part numbers anyway
and thanked him for his/her concern. If you would like, send me an email
and I can take a digital picture of the yokes of the different systems.

The guide blocks took about 10 minutes to switch out. You simply remove the
hex nuts that hold the adjustment knobs and turn them until the bearing
block (yoke) comes out. Replace with the block guides. BTW - if anyone is
interested in a set of bearing guides and the yokes that hold them ($39 from
Griz), I'd sell them for $15 shipped to anywhere in the U.S.

Don

"WD" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:08:31 -0600, "D. J. Dorn"
wrote:

I make all the mistakes you mentioned below, I too am convince that
something
must be done if I am to enjoy the BS. Thanks for your honest assessment.

I called Grizzly about a month ago, they told me bearing guides are better
than
guide blocks. Not only they convinced me to keep the bearing guides but
didn't
tell me if they have guide blocks.

Do you have any problems removing and installing the guide blocks? BTW, I
just
went to Grizzly site and they have increased the price of G0555.

No, I bought them from Grizzly - it's the ones that were on the G019 saw
and
I think both were about $5.00. I see they have now replaced that saw with
little brother of the G0555 and it looks to have blocks. Should be an
easy
switch - it was for me. You're right, the noise went way down and since I
use 1/2" oak dowels as blocks, I don't worry about setting them just shy
of
the gullets on the blade - I pinch it and let the saw blade make it's own
curf. It's more stable, more supported and as I said, quiter as a result.
To be honest, I did not like the saw with the bearings - they were way to
difficult to get to, let alone adjust with that eccentric system and it
was
so noisy, it seems tha something was set wrong. I also had to be very
careful about where the gullet was in relationship to the blade and I
probably ruined a couple of blades. Had I not been able to get a block
system for it, I'd have probably gotten rid of it by now.

Don

"WD" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:59:13 -0600, "D. J. Dorn"
wrote:

I am beginning to feel if I replace the bearing guide on my G0555 with
basic
block, it might also reduce the noise and maybe get a smoother cut.

BTW, where did you buy your block system and how much you pay for them?
Any trouble encounter when installing the block?

Thank you.

Can only tell you my experience with the G0555. I didn't really care
for
it
at first until I changed out the roller bearing guides with the basic
block
system - after that, I have a whole new respect.