D. J. Dorn

I have used 3/4 blades with no trouble even though some argue that 1/2 is
the biggest you should actually use on a 14" saw. I do have a 1/2 and it
works well too but I like the 3/4 better. Yes, the boards would need to be
planed if you are preparing them for a project. The truth is that any 93
1/2 or 105" blade with even 3 tpi has at least 280 teeth - you can't compare
that to a far more expensive and stiffer tablesaw blade with 40 quality
carbide teeth. That said, I have found that the result is smooth and
doesn't take much planning and that the difference in width front to back of
the fresh cut piece is inconsequential. I highly recommend the bandsaw book
by Mark Duginski - it enabled me to take a occasional tool to one of the
most used in my shop.

Don

"Ron" wrote in message
Thankx Don, this is a help, especially the tip about roller bearing
guides. That't the kind
of info I was looking for.

One more question..
Which resaw blades have you had the best luck with and do the boards
usually
requiring planing/surfacing afterwards.

ThankX again,
Ron

"D. J. Dorn" wrote in message
Can only tell you my experience with the G0555. I didn't really care for
it at first until I changed out the roller bearing guides with the basic
block system - after that, I have a whole new respect.

Noise: Is pretty quiet - about the same as a friends Delta and quiter
than a friends Jet 16". Not overly fair comparison on the Jet becuase
it's a bigger saw.

Vibration: Inconsequential and have noticed none.

Ease of blade replacement: As a standard saw - you can get 93 1/2 blades
anywhere - if you put the riser on, only wood specialty stores would have
them (105") on hand or you need to order them. I got them all at once
and am getting along fine.

Availablity of new blades - I haven't had trouble finding anything I was
looking for. I use everyting from 1/8th to 3/4 in many different
variations.

Quality of fence: I don't use the fence much but when I do, I find it
adequate - nothing great.

Ability to resaw - even with the riser, I haven't had any issue but the
most I've tried a 10" of oak - I had to go a little slow but it did fine
and the motor did not bog down.

Amount of dust collected: I have the small 1hp Delta and hook it up to
the port on the saw. When done cutting - even resawing, there is nothing
in the lower cabinet. The only thing I have to clean up is what was left
on the top of the table and that is to be expected.

Hope this helps.

Don

"Ron" wrote in message
I'm looking for a 14" bandsaw and have read a lot of good (great even)
reviews
about both of these saws.

I have (and have read) Grizzly's spec sheets on both these saws.

However, beyond the basics/specs how do they compare.
-noise
-vibration
-ease of blade replacement
-availability/selection of new blades
-quality of fence
-ability to resaw 6-8" hw (oak & cherry)
-amount of actual dust collected

Many ThankX
Ron