On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:05:02 GMT, "Hamilton Audio"
wrote:

I've got a montreal-style bilevel home where the driveway runs down and
towards the house at a good slope. I have retaining walls on either side
where the driveway goes below grade.

In the springtime, as the temps get warm enough to let the sun melt snow/ice
at the top of the driveway and the grass, it runs down the driveway as
gravity would have it do....but as it gets past the retaining walls (where
the sun cannot get to, at any time of the day) it re-freezes.

sort of like an ice dam on a roof, but at the base of my driveway. I had to
use an air-chisel and break away large pieces of ice in the early spring to
keep it clear....

I am thinking about laying down a set of roof de-icing cables across the
area to keep it thawed permanently. any thoughts? is it ok to be driving

Don't think these cables are ment to be driven over. So can be very,
very dangerous.

on these wires? I know they dont' get "hot" per se, barely warm I
know...but will I be doing damage to them by driving on them?? are there
any more appropriate products for such a task?

bmoney

Some options for deicing/desnowing: http://www.urlbee.com?498

Never thought about the heat lamps...

later,