Scratch Ankle Wood

Silvan wrote:
Mark & Juanita wrote:

they? Now, I won't say where those passwords are, but suffice it to say,
I don't hide them under my keyboard or mousepad -- I have a little bit of
operations security sense.

They're on a big yellow Post-It note on the front of your monitor,
right?

It floored me when I saw a machine at a, um, locally owned store which shall
remain namless. The server responsible for handling all the credit card
transactions for the store. Big yellow Post-It note with usernames and
passwords right on it. Gee willakers Mrs. Cleaver, I wonder if I can
figure out how to break into that machine?

My set up requires new passwords every 30 days. So the password on the
second month is a 1 in front of the old ones, on the third month they
revert to the original passwords, the fourth month gets the 1 back in
front of them, and so on. Fortunately I only have 4 to keep up with.
Hardest part is to remember whether this is a 1 or non 1 month.

Saw an article about passwords -- the security experts were saying that
these foolish ideas about different passwords for everything plus the
required frequent changes has caused the opposite result of what was
desired. Security is worse because of the very thing you all mentioned
-- a post it note with passwords and user names on the computer. If they
are conscious of security they use the pale yellow instead of the neon
green ones so they don't stand out as much. If they are real conscious
of security, they hide it under the keyboard instead of taping it to the
monitor.