Doug Kanter

"Fred" wrote in message
On 8 Jan 2005 02:21:37 -0800, "Sennin" wrote:

During wintertime, the furnace air has been drying out the family
sinuses. Also, we have been sick a few times. While investigating, I
thought maybe it was a furnace issue.

I had a reputable furnace man out. He suggested having the furnace
cleaned/AC cleaned and each air duct cleaned. For a total of $500.

I have heard that the furnace/AC cleaning is a good idea. I have also
heard that duct cleaning is just a scam, because the filter picks up
the dirt that would be in the duct.

Any thoughts on that?

Yeah.

You are a sucker for the charlatans and they will rob you blind.

Don't let these quacks near your home.

Fred

Just one exception, and a comment: First, there are companies that will
actually get the ducts clean, regardless of whether it's necessary. That
leads to the exception: We have a talk show here which sometimes has a home
inspector as the guest. He's mentioned a few instances where he's inspected
homes that sat empty for quite some time before being sold, and that
somehow, mice end up in the ductwork. The clue is the mouse crap, and you
don't want that gradually turning to dust and mixing with your air. If a
duct inspection turns up anything other than the expected dust deposits,
they're worth cleaning.