Mark D. Zacharias

Actually, RCA does have service literature, parts, etc for the RS series.
Fixed many of them.

They had lots of bad pickups, though.

Cleaning is worth a try, but I would say that unless dust is a problem where
the stereo is, it's more likely a bad pickup. Too expensive out of warranty,
the entire CD assembly is replace, not just the pickup itself.

Mark Z.

"Phil Bowser" wrote in message
Im shocked to hear that you got more than 1-2 yrs. of play out of this
unit... the lasers fade away fast. Cleaning the laser lens will likely
allow it to work awhile, but the light output of the laser is probably
getting weak, and each time between cleanings (if it works at all) will
likely be shorter and shorter until it is landfill fodder like every other
"Non-serviceable" throw-away piece of audio equipment out there....RCA
(and
many others) isn't publishing service literature or producing any
replacement parts for these units... If they make it past the "90 day
labor
warranty" ("free" exhange - you box and ship...) - they pro-rate the
exchange cost so high that it is often cheaper to buy another player than
pay the "exchange cost" within the "1 yr. parts warranty" (Basically
meaningless). Beyond a year they are truly landfill fodder.

"Dannis" wrote in message
My daughter's compact stereo stopped playing CDs last week. She has tried
different CDs so it is not damaged or dirty CDs. The player is 4 years

old.
Any suggestions on how to clean the lens, if that is the problem? I am in

wheelchair and it is difficult to get to the machine in her room, so I'd
like to do it in one fell swoop, after I go in to take a look and figure

out
what I need to get together to tackle the problem. I was once a computer
tech, but I only switched out boards and do not have soldering or meter
experience. Thanks!

Dannis