mac davis

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:22:32 -0500, "billh"
wrote:

ok Leo.. here's an area I'm having trouble with...

I'm trying to get away from faceplate turning, to avoid the wasted
wood.. (hoping to get into some more exotic wood than firewood)

I've been experimenting with roughing out the bowls between centers
and leaving them with either a base or tenon for the chuck, so I can
do the rest of the turning with the Talon..

My problem is that whether I use a tenon or a base, the bowl won't
true on the chuck.... a neighbor that works in a machine shop thinks
that the base or tenon might not be true with the face of the bowl and
that if it isn't, the bowl won't true out no matter how much you carve
away at it...

Logic tells me that if something is true when between centers, it
should be true when chucked, but I must be missing something here...
H E L P ! !

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Mac,
Does the chuck run true when it is mounted on the spindle?

When you first chuck the bowl it should be fairly true but perhaps not
perfect. This is not a big deal since all you have to do is a light cut on
the outer surface of the bowl to get it true with the chucking. Don't worry
if the top of the bowl is not necessarily perpendicular to the bed of the
lathe since that will be quickly trued up as you continue shaping and
hollowing the bowl.
When you chuck the bowl in your talon make sure the front face of the jaws
butts against the bottom of the bowl where it meets the tenon. The bottom of
the tenon does not rest against the bottom of the jaws where they fasten to
the chuck body. I always make sure I have a small flat surface about 1/4"
wide where the tenon and the bottom of the bowl meets to provide good
registration with the jaws.

billh

thanks, bill... you da man!....

at first the talon wasn't running true... I removed and replaced the
adapter, (following instructions this time), and it seemed to true
right up...

I put a 3/4 inch dowel in it that I knew was warped, and turned it to
almost no vibration, so I'm assuming that it's running true now??

I'm beginning to think it's operator error, but can't find what I'm
doing wrong... I roughed a sample bowl tonight between centers and it
seemed pretty stable/true...
I cut a 3/8" deep tenon in it, chucked it up, and it wobbled like
crazy... tried with jaws all against bottom, with space between jaws
and bottom, etc, etc... still wobbled both "front to back" and out of
round...

since it was a tent, I spent over an hour making light cuts and trying
to true it up.. the result was a lot smaller bowl with less wobble,
but still not true...

I've only had the Jet since late December, but the that I've turned on
the faceplate seem true, and if I put the spur center and live canter
in, I can push the tailstock to until the 2 points meet exactly...

I had "assumed" that anything that could be chucked could be trued,
but maybe I'm putting way too much faith in the chuck?

BTW: I used the Talon on the Shopsmith for 2 weeks before I got the
Jet, and it seemed fine...