willshak

On 1/8/2005 7:49 AM US(ET), willshak took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

On 1/8/2005 12:44 AM US(ET), Magnusfarce took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

I just had a rollup garage door installed that has windows which will
allow
daylight (good) and a view of the electronics and tools in my garage
(bad).
The windows that came with the door are clear glass. What can I use to
obscure the view from outside without losing the natural light?

Some searching came up with two potential solutions: 1) Spray on
fogging
paint, apparently available from craft stores; and 2) Aquarium crystal
paint.

I believe that any tinted or reflective film will work except that, at
night, someone would be able to see into the lit garage. That's
almost a
good enough fix, but not quite. I also understand that I cannot add any
appreciable weight to the door, so that rules out adding a thin sheet of
bubbled light fixture panes (like on flourecent lights).

I'd appreciate any shared experiences on this. Thanks.

- Magnusfarce

Take a run over to WalMart or any store that sells "Con-Tact" plastic
shelving paper. They have a diamond patterned (peel and stick)
semi-clear plastic film that can be used on window glass. I have it on
one bathroom window that is next to a patio and it works great.

First, you have to cut me a little slack because of my age and CRS.
I just realized that my garage door windows are covered with auto window
tint that I installed myself some 20 years ago.
They work great looking out during the day, but I can't see in too well.
The only time you can see in pretty clearly, is when the garage lights
are on.
The film can be bought at any auto supply store like Autozone, CarQuest,
etc. You can get it in many different colors and levels of opacity. Get
the smoke tint unless you like the bronze or mirrored look of glass.
Mine is the darker smoke shade, but not the real dark limo tint.

--
Bill