Magnusfarce

Default How to Frost Garage Windows for Privacy ?

I just had a rollup garage door installed that has windows which will allow
daylight (good) and a view of the electronics and tools in my garage (bad).
The windows that came with the door are clear glass. What can I use to
obscure the view from outside without losing the natural light?

Some searching came up with two potential solutions: 1) Spray on fogging
paint, apparently available from craft stores; and 2) Aquarium crystal
paint.

I believe that any tinted or reflective film will work except that, at
night, someone would be able to see into the lit garage. That's almost a
good enough fix, but not quite. I also understand that I cannot add any
appreciable weight to the door, so that rules out adding a thin sheet of
bubbled light fixture panes (like on flourecent lights).

I'd appreciate any shared experiences on this. Thanks.

- Magnusfarce

effi

you'll lose most of the natural light (can be overcome with interior
lighting) but some dark colored plastic window screen stapled over the
window openings from inside, using more than one layer if one layer is too
transparent for your liking, might work

just staple along the top (not the sides or bottom) then the screen or
layers of screen can be lifted and temporarily clipped in place (clothes
pins, etc.) to increase lighting when the garage is being used

another arrangement might be to add a solid panel of thin plywood etc. about
the size of each window, permanently shimmed back from the window a couple
inches between it and the window, so light could pass through all around
through the couple inches space,,,hard to engineer mentally without seeing
the doors

or you could cover each window from inside with some solid panels (plywood
etc.) and have each one hinged so they can be opened to allow light in
whenever; also have some kind of securing mechanism on each so when the
garage door is raised they stay put

or use a combination of solid panels and screen

and if you have the bux, electric glass
http://www.electricglasswall.com/photo.htm

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message
[...]

Suzie-Q

-
- Some searching came up with two potential solutions: 1) Spray on fogging
- paint, apparently available from craft stores; and 2) Aquarium crystal
- paint.
-
- I believe that any tinted or reflective film will work except that, at
- night, someone would be able to see into the lit garage. That's almost a
- good enough fix, but not quite. I also understand that I cannot add any
- appreciable weight to the door, so that rules out adding a thin sheet of
- bubbled light fixture panes (like on flourecent lights).
-
- I'd appreciate any shared experiences on this. Thanks.

Someone, somewhere sells a sort of plastic sheeting (much like
shelf "paper") that is intended for use on bathroom windows. It
give a frosted appearance when attached to the window.

Unfortunately, I don't recall where I've seen it.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
Suzie-Q

In article ,
Suzie-Q wrote:

- In article ,
- "Magnusfarce" wrote:
-
- - I just had a rollup garage door installed that has windows which will
- allow
- - daylight (good) and a view of the electronics and tools in my garage
- (bad).
- - The windows that came with the door are clear glass. What can I use to
- - obscure the view from outside without losing the natural light?
- -

Ooooooooh. Check this out: http://www.decorativefilm.com/
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
effi

interesting film, the warehouse home improvement stores carry similar films
in limited small sizes

sheet plastic or wax paper attached over the windows might also work to
alter transparency while allowing light through

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message news:sme617x-
Ooooooooh. Check this out: http://www.decorativefilm.com/
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/

George E. Cawthon

Magnusfarce wrote:
[...]

Since it is winter you need some additional insulation
anyway. Just get regular plastic used for paint spatter
(2-4 mil) which is milky and staple if you have a wood door
or tape if you have a metal door. Look through the plastic
to find a degree of translucency that you like.
Red Neckerson

"Suzie-Q" wrote

Someone, somewhere sells a sort of plastic sheeting (much like
shelf "paper") that is intended for use on bathroom windows. It
give a frosted appearance when attached to the window.

I know WallWorld used to sell it. It was with all the other rolls of contact
paper (do people still use that stuff?) made by Rubbermaid. They used to
have a couple different "frosted" type ones. I used it years ago on my work
truck to keep theives from "taking inventory".....

willshak

On 1/8/2005 12:44 AM US(ET), Magnusfarce took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

[...]

Take a run over to WalMart or any store that sells "Con-Tact" plastic
shelving paper. They have a diamond patterned (peel and stick)
semi-clear plastic film that can be used on window glass. I have it on
one bathroom window that is next to a patio and it works great.

--
Bill
Joseph Meehan

Magnusfarce wrote:
[...]

First, if you are in a creative mood, check out the craft stores for
stain glass paint. Just add a little creativity and you can have a good
looking results that also block vision well and not too much light.

From Michaels

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...002&channelid=

However for most, I suggest the self stick plastic stuff sold for
bathroom windows. A number of places carry it, try your local home
improvement store.

Home Depot has this listed under "window film."

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...D=9876--Joseph Meehan26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

willshak

On 1/8/2005 7:49 AM US(ET), willshak took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

[...]

First, you have to cut me a little slack because of my age and CRS.
I just realized that my garage door windows are covered with auto window
tint that I installed myself some 20 years ago.
They work great looking out during the day, but I can't see in too well.
The only time you can see in pretty clearly, is when the garage lights
are on.
The film can be bought at any auto supply store like Autozone, CarQuest,
etc. You can get it in many different colors and levels of opacity. Get
the smoke tint unless you like the bronze or mirrored look of glass.
Mine is the darker smoke shade, but not the real dark limo tint.

--
Bill

CathyLee

Frosting a Window
Mix Epsom Salt with stale beer until the beer can hold no more. Then,
apply the mixture to the glass. When it dries the window will be
frosted.

CL

[...]

bill a

they used to use "GlassWax" like that. I think they still sell it
on the oldfashioned type hardware stores.
bill
"bumtracks" wrote in message
well you could do like I did,
car wax, but don't buff the haze.

HerHusband

I just had a rollup garage door installed that has windows which will
allow daylight (good) and a view of the electronics and tools in my
garage (bad). The windows that came with the door are clear glass.
What can I use to obscure the view from outside without losing the
natural light?

How about making some kind of "shades" for the windows? Assuming your door
is metal, you could glue or tape some magnets to posterboard and "stick"
the covers to the door when you want to block out the light. This gives you
the advantage of being able to take the shades off to get the light in the
garage when you want it.

If you really want to get fancy, you could sew some magnets into the edges
of some cloth shades. Most craft stores sell strips of magnetic material.
We used them to stick christmas cards to our metal doors for years.

If your doors are wood, you could probably install snaps, hooks, or some
other method of attaching the shades to the door.

Good luck,

Anthony

Abe

I just had a roll up garage door installed that has windows which will allow
daylight (good) and a view of the electronics and tools in my garage (bad).
The windows that came with the door are clear glass. What can I use to
obscure the view from outside without losing the natural light?

---------------
Krylon Glass frosting:
http://krylon.com/main/product_templ...roduct_details

Acrylic matte gel:
http://megan.scatterbrain.org/notmar...wfrosting.html

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:44:24 -0800, "Magnusfarce"
wrote:

[...]

I've used this on bathroom windows. Just make sure you follow
directions. http://www.urlbee.com?497

later,

tom
JohnR66

I agree with the plastic film. It is a vinyl plastic with a square or
diamond pattern that lets most of the light through, yet completley obscures
what is behind it. I used it on my garage windows. If you apply it carfully,
it looks like the pattern is part of the glass.
John

[...]

chemqueries

Suzie-Q wrote:
Someone, somewhere sells a sort of plastic sheeting (much like

shelf "paper") that is intended for use on bathroom windows. It
give a frosted appearance when attached to the window.

************************************************** *************************
Yes, I got some of this at Home Depot. I had originally seen it
advertised in a catalogue, but I couldn't find the catalog, so I went
to Home Depot and asked for that clear/opaque contact paper that you
can put up on bathroom windows for privacy. You can't see through it,
but light does get through. I've used this on garage windows and
bathroom windows. It's probably the least elegant, but also the least
expensive, way of dealing with the problem. You could start out by
trying it, and then if you'd prefer something else, you can just peel
off the contact paper and try something else.

zxcvbob

Magnusfarce wrote:
[...]

Sandblast it.

Seriously,
Bob

Bob S.

Magnusfarce wrote:
[...]

I have sheer window curtains with a small cafe rod top and bottom. Easy
to make with minimum sewing, and stays in place when the door is raised.

effi

"Bubba" wrote in message
Yall liss'n here. I kaint believe all the ghetta responses, chit why not
just duck tape plastic Wal-mart bags over the winders. Ya reckon?

the op indicated translucency is "good"

the bags ain't as translucent as something more translucent

is this lucid?

Jim

Magnusfarce wrote:
[...]

Instead of a garage this applies to rear facing windows. New
construction behind me makes me wish to alter the transparency of my
windows. First thought is a reflective film that would allow persons
inside to easily see out but block viewing from outside. Day and night.

Suggestions?

Edwin Pawlowski

Magnusfarce wrote:
I just had a rollup garage door installed that has windows which will
allow
daylight (good) and a view of the electronics and tools in my garage
(bad).
The windows that came with the door are clear glass. What can I use to
obscure the view from outside without losing the natural light?

Another consideration is the placement of the panels. If the lights are at
the top, they are least visible compared to the seconds from the top.

effi

"Jim" wrote in message
Magnusfarce wrote:
[...]

http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Decorative/deco.html

curtains?

plant a hedge?

build a tall fence?

Beachcomber

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:30:32 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Magnusfarce wrote:
I just had a rollup garage door installed that has windows which will
allow
daylight (good) and a view of the electronics and tools in my garage
(bad).
The windows that came with the door are clear glass. What can I use to
obscure the view from outside without losing the natural light?

Wax Paper?

Beachcomber

MilkyWhy

Heat up your pot o "hide glue". Ladle some on any window, then stand back as
she dries. It pings off the glass and gives frosted look.
Oscar_Lives

[...]

1. Hit it with a sandblaster

or

2. Etch it with hydrofluoric acid.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Bubba wrote:
Yall liss'n here. I kaint believe all the ghetta responses, chit why not
just duck tape plastic Wal-mart bags over the winders. Ya reckon?

You can laugh, but I used a roll of brown paper like they use to wrap packages
for the post office on mine, leaving a slit window for me to look out along the
tops of the windows. I just stretched out a piece long enough to reach across
all four panes and secured it with thumb tacks. Since the outside of the door
is a kind of bronze color, the combination is actually pretty attractive and now
I don't have to sweat one of the neighbors looking in and seeing me working out
there in my boxers.

It cost essentially nothing, lasted almost ten years before I had to replace it,
and is instantly reversible if you need it to disappear for some reason.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Philip Lewis

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" writes:
Bubba wrote:
Yall liss'n here. I kaint believe all the ghetta responses, chit why not
just duck tape plastic Wal-mart bags over the winders. Ya reckon?

I used a roll of brown paper [...] on mine, leaving a slit window

Another option is to find a store still selling holiday leftovers and
look for with spray frost or spray snow.

OR

You can make your own frost mix by saturating isopropol alcohol with
epsom salts and a *little* table salt.

Just mix it and sponge on the windows. (I imagine a spray bottle
would work if you just "misted" the window)

http://www.google.com/search?q=frost...dow+epsom+salt

Some of these say use beer, other say water. I suggested isopropol
since it will evap quickly and not leave any organics like beer will.

A slight word of warning, the salt is hydrophilic (attracts water)...
I wouldn't use it in a high humidity enviroment.

Good luck

--
be safe.
flip

Camster

buy some frosted glass spray.
"The winds of God are always blowing, but you must set the sails"

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Magnusfarce, easyfix wrote:
Question: with these loose covers - tape at top only, etc. do they not get in
the way of the door opening mechanisms, chain, etc. when the door is opened?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...cy-582719-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 5:44:06 PM UTC-5, easyfix wrote:

replying to Magnusfarce, easyfix wrote:
Question: with these loose covers - tape at top only, etc. do they not get in
the way of the door opening mechanisms, chain, etc. when the door is opened?

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...cy-582719-.htm

Another clueless dope from HomeMoanersHub dragging up a TWELVE
YEAR OLD post. They're answering just like they thought the original
poster was hanging around all these years awaiting their advice.