Aaron Kushner

Grant Erwin wrote:

If you can remove the spindle (often a good idea, lets you clean out
the headstock and renew the oil wicks, etc.) then you might want to
consider measuring the length you need and buying a timing belt that
length at the auto parts store, then turning it inside out. Those
belts are just great.

Thanks for the info. I went to the auto parts store and the only
belt I could find that was 48" long was a 3/4" flat belts that has
the grooves running the parallel to the edges. Is that the wrong
kind of belt?

I removed one of the spindle caps and there was some kind of paper
gasket material. Do I need to replace the gasket now that I've
opened it?

Also, not sure what wicking is, but this lathe has nifty little oil
caps that lift up and reveal a port in which to squirt oil. The
oil then fills a sump which has a revolving loop that seems to
distribute the oil around. Once I have the bearings open, is there
any other maintenance that I need to do.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

-Aaron