On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:34:31 GMT, Bill Janssen

I'm sure I read somewhere that one should not use copper for fuel
lines for gasoline that something happens between the copper and the
gas.
Am I dreaming all this up or what?
Mike in BC

There was a belief by some that copper would make gasoline form gummy
deposits
But I think the "problem" was just poor quality gasoline or maybe some
kind of bioligy
living in a water / gasoline mix.

I don't have a clue as to the facts.

Bill K7NOM

Looks like sulphur is the culprit:

Copper Strip Corrosion
ASTM D 130 — Test Method for Detection of Copper Corrosion from
Petroleum Products by the Copper Strip Tarnish Test

D 130 can be used to detect the presence of free sulfur or reactive
sulfur compounds. In this test method, a polished copper strip is
immersed in 30 mL of gasoline and heated to 50°C (122°F) for 3 hours.
The test strip is compared to standard strips and reported on a scale
of one to four (one being best).

It is becoming clear that as sulfur levels in gasolines are forced
lower, many sulfur species that actually provided protection for
copper surfaces are being greatly reduced or eliminated. In extremely
low sulfur content reformulated gasolines, levels of free sulfur or
reactive sulfur compounds that would not have caused a failed copper
strip test in conventional gasolines may now cause a failure. This
factor increases the urgency for minimizing contamination with even
minor levels of free sulfur or reactive sulfur compounds in processing
at the refinery.