Ken Grunke

Aaron Kushner wrote:
I've got a 10" Senecca Star lathe that didn't come with a belt.

I read through many old posts on putting belts on lathes, but I
couldn't find anything definitive on what width belt to use. The
pulleys are 1 1/8" wide. One post mentioned that there should be
1/4" on each side, but that would leave only a 5/8" belt and that
doesn't seem very wide. Would a 3/4" - 1" belt work better?

I was planning on purchasing leather from McMaster and skiving
it, but I saw that they had NBR and SBR synthetic belts already
premade in the size I need. Would these be better than leather?

As long as your pulleys are properly crowned, and the spindles are
aligned, a 1" belt should stay centered without rubbing on the next
larger step.
Grant's timing belt idea sounds great if they are flexible enough to hug
the whole width of the pulley, and not just ride on the peak of the crown.

Ken Grunke

--
take da "ma" offa dot com fer eemayl