Ken Davey

Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:31:09 -0600, granpaw
wrote:
"Footy" wrote in
:

Are you sure it wasn't copper and acetylene? Any copper alloy
that is more than about 2/3 copper will form explosive compounds
with acetylene.

Then I would ask why torch tips are made of copper...;0)

At that point, burning is pretty much expected and normal, I'd say?

Still doesn't explain why torch tips don't "self-light" or explode,
even when running pure acet. through 'em...

The formation of 'explosive compounds' (a reaction between copper and
acetylene) is a *very* slow process, as I understand it, requiring long term
contact. It is, however, very real and people have been killed. One senario
is the dismantling of old copper lines that have carried acetylene for many
years. One wrong move and BOOM!

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar