Malcolm Reeves

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:53:46 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Malcolm Reeves" wrote
| So I'd like an electric inset fire with a good flame effect. And
| quiet. I brought home one from B&Q today and that's going
| back. The flame effect was quite reasonable but the noise of
| the fan to drive it was very noticeable. Unacceptably so .

a concealed fan heater for heating, so you will get some
fan noise whenever you use it for heat.

Except I was talking about just the flame effect on, not the fan for
heating. The two are different.

It looks like I'm going this way so I'll give the B&Q one another go,
perhaps it was just a duff one. I could also look at running the fan
slower or an alternate fan.

BTW I looked at gas fires. Nice but no mains gas here so it would be
LPG. I worked out that one 47kg bottle has the equivalent of 600
kWhrs and since each bottle costs about GBP 26 that's 4.3p per kWhr
which is more than I pay for my electric!

And decorative gas fires are 50% efficient so that's almost 9p per
kWhr. The minimum setting is about 1.5kW so 13p/hr just to have it
lit. Say 6pm-10pm, for 6 months, that's GBP 95 running costs. And it
is the best part of 1000 to install a gas fire (no proper fireplace,
but there is a chimney).

--

Malcolm

Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
, or ).
Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - www.CharteredConsultant.co.uk - The Consultant A-List