billh

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 02:06:40 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Mac there is no wrong way or right way if it works for you

But I use good wood screws, in my face plate, if my screws don't strip
out then I'm not afraid that the wood will come off, now the glue joint
is another question, and I rarely use glued on bowl blanks, I normally
cut the outside form then use the stronghold chuck to hold it and hollow
the inside.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

ok Leo.. here's an area I'm having trouble with...

I'm trying to get away from faceplate turning, to avoid the wasted
wood.. (hoping to get into some more exotic wood than firewood)

I've been experimenting with roughing out the bowls between centers
and leaving them with either a base or tenon for the chuck, so I can
do the rest of the turning with the Talon..

My problem is that whether I use a tenon or a base, the bowl won't
true on the chuck.... a neighbor that works in a machine shop thinks
that the base or tenon might not be true with the face of the bowl and
that if it isn't, the bowl won't true out no matter how much you carve
away at it...

Logic tells me that if something is true when between centers, it
should be true when chucked, but I must be missing something here...
H E L P ! !

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Mac,
Does the chuck run true when it is mounted on the spindle?

When you first chuck the bowl it should be fairly true but perhaps not
perfect. This is not a big deal since all you have to do is a light cut on
the outer surface of the bowl to get it true with the chucking. Don't worry
if the top of the bowl is not necessarily perpendicular to the bed of the
lathe since that will be quickly trued up as you continue shaping and
hollowing the bowl.
When you chuck the bowl in your talon make sure the front face of the jaws
butts against the bottom of the bowl where it meets the tenon. The bottom of
the tenon does not rest against the bottom of the jaws where they fasten to
the chuck body. I always make sure I have a small flat surface about 1/4"
wide where the tenon and the bottom of the bowl meets to provide good
registration with the jaws.

billh