Andy Hall

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:24:38 -0000, "Vortex"
wrote:

I have 3 sheds, approximate ages 10, 20 and 30 years and in various stages
of bio-degradation.

I would like to replace them with one robust over-engineered "mother of all
sheds".

* Concrete slab on DPC
* 3m x 5m area
* 19mm Constructional cladding TGV with vapour barrier on 4x2 frame
* Apex roof
* More than 5m from existing house, in back garden
* More than 2m from any boundary
* No neighbour objection (in fact positive support)

In having a healthy experience-based disrespect for council bureaucrats I do
not want to require any kind of building control or planning permission at
all.

Q. Ideally I would like to build a brick wall (6-8 courses) with the
timber section of the shed above that. In doing this (or even thinking
this) am I exposing myself to flak from the regs police?

Local council web resources are very unhelpful. When is a shed not a
shed...but an "outbuilding"?

David

Take a look at some other local authority web sites. There are
several with useful information that you can find easily with a google
search.

I'm not sure about the brick wall aspect. Certainly check that - it
rings slight warning bells.

I believe that the floor area is OK.

Some other things to watch a

- Does it result in coverage of more than a certain proportion of the
overall plot? I guess not from the numbers you have given.

- Make the roof apex peak less than 4m. This can be done by
reducing the pitch if need be to maintain the area you want. I did
mine at approx 20 degrees for example.

- Check to see that there are no covenenants or LA removal of
permitted development rights for the area or property.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl