T i m

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:57:08 +0000, John Stumbles
wrote:

Ok . slightly confused here. By a 'normal shower' you mean a shower
that *could* run off a gravity fed system? This would be ~150 quids
worth of Mira or similar?

£150 will only get you a non-thermostatic Mira whereas you could get a
thermostatic bar mixer valve from Screwfix. They're surface mounted so
if it packs up after a few years you can just screw a new one in,
instead of being stuck with £100 for a replacement element for a Mira.

Ok, no not quite as pretty (if surface mount) but more servicable and
if we loose the Mira badge, better VFM ;-)

Then I could fit a pump to that if I (they) wanted a bit more 'ooomph'
but would still run from a sealed / combi type heater thing without
the pump if they went that way?

Yup. Unless you have a good head (a floor or more) between tank in the
attic and shower head I'd go for a pump (until they get a combi). You
can always resell it on eBay (or buy one there in the first place).

Ok ;-)

If we went for a 'Power Shower' we would *have* to have it pumped or
it (probably) wouldn't deliver?

A separate valve and pump will give you a 'Power Shower', though the
term is also used for all-in-one boxes containing a pump + mixer valve
(thermostatic or otherwise). These look superficially like
electrically-heated showers i.e. a box about 300 * 200 with
knobs/switches on and a hose coming out the bottom.

Ah, yes, may have seen a bay of those in B&Q today .. .. so it would
go ..straight mixer, thermostatic, external pumped thermo, 'power
shower' (and electric)?

All the best .. and thanks John ..

T i m