Leo Van Der Loo

Mac there is no wrong way or right way if it works for you

But I use good wood screws, in my face plate, if my screws don't strip
out then I'm not afraid that the wood will come off, now the glue joint
is another question, and I rarely use glued on bowl blanks, I normally
cut the outside form then use the stronghold chuck to hold it and hollow
the inside.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:39:03 GMT, "res055a5" wrote:

i'm turning green maple and cherry into bowls and using a faceplate with
waste wood/glue/paper/glue/bowl blank.
i've been told not to use soft waste wood because it won't hold as well.
fact or fiction?
rich

I'm FAR from an expert, and I'm sure others here will tell me why it's
wrong.. *g*

I use soft pine, an inch larger than the faceplate diameter, so I can
cut it along with whatever is glued to the other side of the paper..
(I'm cheap, so when they say "paper or plastic, I ask for paper once
in a while)

I bolt the pine to the faceplate using countersunk 1/4 bolts with lock
washers and nuts behind the faceplate..
I cut the rounds oversize with a jig saw, drill & bolt 'em, then turn
them round and glue the paper over it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing