Ken Davey

carl mciver wrote:
Keep the lines short and supported and there will not be an issue.
Barring the ability to keep it short, I use copper for my oil
pressure lines in my car, but I put a little coil to spread any
movement out over a longer span, and supported in a way that it
wouldn't vibrate unnecessarily. The nylon that came with the gauge
set got brittle and broke, making a royal mess inside my car on the
way to work one day. Copper fuel lines were used for years in old
machinery, cars, and so forth. You'll find little really old
equipment lacking a copper fuel line somewhere.

wrote in message
I'm sure I read somewhere that one should not use copper for fuel
lines for gasoline that something happens between the copper and the
gas.
Am I dreaming all this up or what?
Mike in BC

No chemical reaction whatsoever. Careful design must be used to prevent
fracture due to vibration 'work hardening'.
I had a copper oil pressure gauge line (OEM with this top of the line gauge)
that decided its service life had been exceeded one fine night.
This in itself would not have been a really big deal except this particular
line was in my boat and it decided to let go (right at the instrument panel)
on a particularily nasty night while trying to dock said thirty foot boat in
a 60 Knot SE gale.
The phrase "I didn't know whether to **** or go blind" really applied there!
It is truly amazing how slippery and vision impaired things can get with a
lousy 1/8" stream of hot oil at 80 PSI ripping round the helm - fast
too.
And, by the way, shutting down the engine was NOT an option!
Being a firm believer of the various 'Laws o Murphy' I had that sucker
crimped off in a few seconds with my ever-present Vice Grips. Hell of a mess
anyway.
Bottom line - copper and vibration *can* lead to disaster.
I highly recommend 'fuel rated' tubing!

Regards.
Ken.

--