Grant Erwin

I have $3500 and want to get a good lathe and mill or combo. Any
suggestions? How about the "shoptask" combo. If I buy separate units how
about Jet... I would like to get something that can turn 30" long parts if
possible.

Thanks, KT

If I were you I'd get a square column mill-drill and a used 9" or 10"
South Bend or Logan or Sheldon lathe in good condition. This month's
"Home Shop Machinist" has an ad for a nice-looking square column mill-drill.
http://industrialhobbies.com

Everyone wants to go buy a machine from a store and get a great deal. Well,
buying a machine tool isn't like buying a toothbrush or an Ipod. You have to
look. It took me 3 years to find my first lathe, which was a 9" South Bend
Model B. I had to drive 200 miles each way to get it. I loved that lathe but
as always happens, a couple of years after I got it a buddy called me to
let me know of a mint Model A (quickchange) going for cheap in an estate
sale. Longest bed SB ever made for a 9" lathe, 54" which lets me turn 36"
between centers. Once you start looking and learn how to look in your area,
you *will* find machinery. If you're near a city it will have machinery. If
you aren't, there will be farmers, who will have machinery. Take a class at
your local technical college in machine tools and talk to the instructor and
the other students. Look for a local metalworking club. Yes, this is all a
lot of work and trouble, but in my opinion that's what it takes.

You can get that mill-drill for a couple grand (that's assuming you have
to drive to LA to pick it up and you'll need $200 for gas) and you can add
a DRO from Shooting Star for about another $500, that will leave you $1000
for your lathe, which should get you a nice one.

Good luck - GWE