Owain

"Malcolm Reeves" wrote
| So I'd like an electric inset fire with a good flame effect. And
| quiet. I brought home one from B&Q today and that's going
| back. The flame effect was quite reasonable but the noise of
| the fan to drive it was very noticeable. Unacceptably so .

AFAIK all the electric 'fires' (apart from the
plastic-coals-over-a-radiant-bar that were popular from the 1920s to the
1970s and were sold under names like Cozeetootsies Chatsworth or
Burnzeekneees Brideshead, the 'posher' the name the naffer the design, aimed
at the sort of household where the Radio Times was kept in an Ollde Worlde
leather folder) use a concealed fan heater for heating, so you will get some
fan noise whenever you use it for heat.

Owain