On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:40:08 -0500, "Louis McEniry"
wrote:

Not wanting to engage in this debate because its over my head.

But, I can add:

I was moving a receptacle.

moving meaing you installed it in a new location. So it was a new
receptacle?

The wiring in the fuse box is "split" on two 15amp fuses red on left fuse,
black on the right.

Louis

On 2005-01-04, HorneTD wrote:

Wayne Whitney wrote:

Doesn't doing this require that both circuits be protected by the same
circuit breaker, i.e. a double-pole breaker? It soounds like the OP
had separate OCPDs on the two legs of the multiwire duplex receptacle.

In new installations all of the devices on a yoke or strap must be
deenergized by a single switch, breaker, or pull out but that
requirement is relatively recent. There is no requirement to alter
existing circuits when the code changes.

OK, but I believe the OP was moving a split-circuit receptacle. I
would assume that this requires meeting the new code requirements.

Cheers, Wayne

thanks,

tom