Rick Hughes

"CQMMAN" wrote in message
Rick Hughes wrote:

I wrote an article on 'which flooring type' ... it's on ukselfbuild
if you want to read it ..
http://tinyurl.com/6dv2t

In simple terms if the floor is subject to movement due to heat then
Engineered is better, it will take as many re-sandings as solid wood.
Use an underlay that incorporates a vapour barrier (I used Quickstep
Combifloor)

I have underfloor heating in my place to keep response time good - I
went for 18mm thick floor, if you don't have UFH, then use thicket
with no problem.

I have found BOEN to be very good ... and Flooring supplies to be
the best on prices (mail order)
http://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/

Rick

Thanks. The tinyurl doesn't work, but the advice is good. Just to clarify,

*can* use underfloor heating with engineered wood?

Strange I tested the url before posting, I have recreated it ...
http://tinyurl.com/53ebg
and tested and it does get the file OK ... (it may ask you to register, but
that's Yahoo)
and click on link on the left to the files area.

Engineered floor is the way to go for UFH .... Some tips :

#1 use the correct underlay ... (Combifloor is good choice) you need a
vapour barrier but a minimum TOG rating.

#2 Lay floating ... it needs to be able to move

#3 Make sure you allow correct perimeter gap

#4 I would REALLY recommend that you use t&g engineered floor and glue all
joints with a D4 adhesive .... it's and easy enough task, I have done more
than 175 sq.m. this way in last couple of months.
I don't think the click fit joints are up to much on engineered floors -
they are better suited to laminate.

#5 Choose an 18mm thick board with ideally 7mm veneer

#6 Scribe in the first run of boards down longest wall - very important to
get this right.

Rick