Christian McArdle

3) luckily we don't get much spam here, but with multiple groups we'd
get each one multiple times

4) Add that the current "top level" uk domain wouldn't be allowed and
everything would have to move to uk.rec.d-i-y.

5) It would break the archives, although Google seem to be managing that on
their own.

6) It would diminish any "community" spirit.

7) There really aren't that many threads. Only about 10 or 20 or so a day.
Not difficult to keep up with. No-one really looks at threads more than a
couple of days old unless specifically interested in it, in which case the
threads are marked. If your newsreader doesn't support marking threads as
watched, then ditch it.

Christian.