Mike

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Kat wrote:

doubt it - given you can leave the tailgate partially open on an estate
if you really want.

Thanks for the unput. Driving with the back door of an estate open
enable you to carry longer objects only. Driving with a hatchback's
hatch open will enable you to carry longer *and* taller objacts in
some cases. See what I'm saying?

Yup see what you are saying... personally I have never found the need,
if it does not go in, then it goes on (the roof rack). I have never been
fond of driving round with boot/hatch lids flapping.

I must say, I am interested in the Impreza and Legacy. Funny thing
is, you'd never guess their performance characteristics by their

Note that the Impreza, even the five door, seems to have been designed to be
'almost' big enough to carry most things. Note that in the four door the
seats stil fold very flat and the rear screen is quite high up so there is
quite a lot of load space. It is a great car but if you need space the
Legacy is the better choice.

(performance of the non turbo models is certainly good for the class,
but probably no better that the equivalent Mundano / Focus)

The lack of a 4*4 Focus is a problem though.

Can you clarify a bit more about the spares
availability? I'm dead wary about buying something where a headlamp
glass costs ?50 or more and can't be found in a local scrapyard.

Subraus rarely need spares. In all my time with them the only thing that
has failed is a clip in the driver door mirror. This failed going over a
speedbump. Apparently this is a common problem that for some reason they
haven't fixed. Perhaps this indicates there are no speedbumps in Japan ?