John Rumm

Kat wrote:

doubt it - given you can leave the tailgate partially open on an estate
if you really want.

Thanks for the unput. Driving with the back door of an estate open
enable you to carry longer objects only. Driving with a hatchback's
hatch open will enable you to carry longer *and* taller objacts in
some cases. See what I'm saying?

Yup see what you are saying... personally I have never found the need,
if it does not go in, then it goes on (the roof rack). I have never been
fond of driving round with boot/hatch lids flapping.

I must say, I am interested in the Impreza and Legacy. Funny thing
is, you'd never guess their performance characteristics by their

With the Legacy then no, even the Turbo version is very discrete in its
standard trim.

See:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~1amiga/legacyhome.htm

(I have a saloon, not unlike the white one in the first picture, but
with the colour and the wheels of the estate pictured below).

It is probably fair to say that there are only a few styling cues that
give the game away. The non turbo one lacks the spoiler, the air scoop
on the bonnet, and the factory fitted front fogs. The tyres are lower
profile and wider.

With the Impreza, then its is a bit more obvious (especially on later
models) with its large "carry handle" spoiler, bonnet vents etc. They
have acquired the reputation of being quick, partly because the majority
you see are Turbos, with sales of the conventional car being quite low.
(they do a "sport" version now, with the Turbo "eye candy" but no turbo,
for people who want the pose but not the group 17 insurance)

(performance of the non turbo models is certainly good for the class,
but probably no better that the equivalent Mundano / Focus)

looks, would you? Can you clarify a bit more about the spares
availability? I'm dead wary about buying something where a headlamp
glass costs �50 or more and can't be found in a local scrapyard.

Well I have had various Subarus over a 20 year time frame, and have
never really considered parts availability to be a big issue. I can only
think of a couple of occasions where I have needed to wait a couple of
days for a part. I does help to have access to a dealer that knows the
cars though. Generally the situation has got better with time as the
brand profile has risen (I no longer have conversations with people that
go "What do you drive?", "Oh Subaru, is that made by Nissan"!)

Most things that you will need at a service are "off the shelf" bits,
and are available from multiple sources anyway. Some other things
(exhausts etc) are easy to get, but don't expect a quick fit to have one
on the shelf without a bit of advanced warning (bit of a non issue - the
exhausts are SS and last 12 years+ anyway). Most glass repairers will
have no difficulty supplying a windscreen. Break discs, radiators etc
are also available from recon factories.

If you like getting bits from scappies then it is really a case of pot
luck.

After market parts for Imprezas are widely available because a whole
industry has sprung up round them for performance tuning etc.

http://www.strictlycars.com/topsubarusites/index.html

Something like a headlamp glass however could still be pricey if you go
for a original part.

Having said all that; given the price range you are looking at, you
would probably need to go for a non turbo Legacy anyway, since Imprezas
tend to hold their value very well. Even a Legacy turbo at 1500 quid
will be hard to find.

If you really want a 4WD car (as opposed to off roader) in your price
range, then there are relatively few other options that I can think of.
You may find a suitable Audi quatro, or the Sierra others have
mentioned. There was a cavalier that never worked in 4WD mode, there
were also things like the Toyota Tercell which was a dog.

--
Cheers,

John.