Philip

Sim C. wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:13:50 GMT, (Kat) wrote:

what I probably want is a reasonable-sized hatchback
that will take 8x4 sheets on a roof rack.

The following was my response to a similar thread in april 2003 (can't
get the link to work, anyone else stuggle with the new google groups
search engine?)

CITROEN BX 1.7TZD 1992

Huge flat load area with plastic runners on the carpet to protect it,
integral roof bars, excellent self leveling suspension for heavy loads
(I just bought 45 120 x 90 foil backed plasterboards home in one),
adjustable suspension height for bumpy builders yards and easy loading
(lower it right down to load/unload the roof rack, just pump it right
up to unload the heavy stuff out of the boot)

60x40 split rear seats

low insurance, and as its mostly plastic, you get about 50mpg!
(obviously without the plasterboards in!)

Spend the rest on some more DIY!

You can now pick one up for =A3500! Mine is still going strong. It has a
towbar and regularly tows my lark dinghy and 4 mountain bikes while
loaded with the family and enough luggage to sink a battleship. It's
done 143000 miles so far and used no oil - sailed through MOT in
November at no cost.

Philip