Lobster

Kat wrote:

Thanks for the unput. Driving with the back door of an estate open
enable you to carry longer objects only. Driving with a hatchback's
hatch open will enable you to carry longer *and* taller objacts in
some cases. See what I'm saying?

Another point to consider which I don't think anyone's mentioned yet -
think about whether you want an estate/hatchback with/without a rear lip
on the tailgate. If you have one, there's the advantage that your boot
contents stay reasonably together and don't fall out every time you
open the tailgate; but it also means you have to lift heavy objects
(like bags of sand or plaster) over the lip each time. A big
consideration if you're worried about your back, as you say. I think
most if not all hatchbacks will have the lip (is that the right word??!)

We have one car with a flat tailgate, one with a 12" lip - give me the
flat one anytime.

David