John Rumm

Kat wrote:

After starting the recent thread about small vans that can carry 8x4
sheets, thanks to the many helpful suggestions and insights, I
conclude that what I probably want is a reasonable-sized hatchback
that will take 8x4 sheets on a roof rack.

Why a hatchback?
(a) more streamlined for long trips and driving at speed.

Unlikely to be much difference... will depend on model a bit.

(b) lighter, so more economical

ditto

(c) I get the impression that some hatchbacks can actually take
larger objects than estate cars (if you drive them with the hatch
open.)

doubt it - given you can leave the tailgate partially open on an estate
if you really want.

(d) better handling because less top-heavy (arguably)

will depend on model. An estate based on a decent chassis design will
piddle all over a mediocre hatchback.

I think your requirements would be better met with an estate.

So I'm looking for a hatchback (around 10 years old) for 」1500 or so,
that is:

(a) reliable
(b) cheap to run
(c) cheap to repair
(d) easy to get spares for
(e) good acceleration (4x4 would be great, espec. for wet roads)
(f) handles really well on bends and in crosswinds
(g) takes large objects
(h) won't give me me a bad back! (seats with good small-of-back
support)

Any suggestions?

Have a look at one of the old JD powers surveys for the era, see what
was rated best by their owners.

(or in keeping with my previous suggestions, perhaps I ought to say
Subaru Imprezza, does a, d, e, f, and h in spades, c will depend on how
you break it, b will be ok but more thirsty on the juice than some
alternatives. A turbo version will do e, and f in ways you think defy
the laws of physics, but you may not be able to find one in your price
range).

--
Cheers,

John.