Mogweed

"Lobster" wrote in message
Sorry. a bit (a lot!) OT but I'd value the group's opinions on this...

My VCR is definitely on its last legs, and needs replacing very soon. We
already have a DVD playback machine; the need here is for something to
enable us to time-shift TV (ie record programmes and watch them at a
convenient time, then delete them). Not interested in preserving for
posterity here.

So the choice is between (a) a hard-disk-type recorder; (b) a DVD-R or -RW
machine; or (c) another VCR.

I really like the idea of a hard disk - no more hunting round for a blank
tape with enough free space left; no more hunting round for that tape with
the final episode of '24', which I know is there somewhere - but have some
concerns...

For example, all these machines give widely varying hour capacities,
depending on the recording speed. How realistic are these - how good is
the quality likely to be at lowest resolution? How many Gb should I rely
on for an hours-worth of viewing?

What about all these downloadable programming guides etc? Are you always
locked in to have to pay a monthly sub, plus daily phone calls, on top of
the initial purchase price?

Finally, I wonder whether it's too early to be buying an HD machine, are
they likely to improve massively in price and quality over the next 1-2
years, as we've seen with DVDs? Therefore maybe a cheapo stopgap VCR
would be best? Or a DVD-R (but you've still got the DVDs to find and
lose!)

I look forward to your views!

David

We bought a Philips DVDR725H/05 about 4 weeks ago. It has a 160GB hard drive
which will store, according to the manual:

M1 = 1 hour on a DVD+R/RW or 32 hours on hdd,
M2 (pre-recorded DVD quality) = 2 hours on DVD or 64 hours on hdd,
M2x (better than S-VHS quality) = 2.5 hours on DVD or 80 hours on hdd,
M3 (S-VHS quality) = 3 hours on DVD or 96 hours on hdd
M4 (better than VHS quality) 4 hours DVD or 128 hours on hdd
M6 (VHS quality) 6 hours DVD 192 hdd
M8 (VHS-LP quality) 8 hours DVD or 250 hdd

DVD+RW's can be written to, erased and written to again over 1000 times and
cost between 80p and £1 per disk (depending on brand) from local computer
fairs. The unit sits openly next to the telly and there is no noise
whatsoever from it. And as for the electronic program guide, it gets updated
each night, covers 7 nights in advance and makes recording a breeze - even
the wife can do it. Simply select the programme, press the red button, and
that's it - timer is set! (find out more about it here
http://www.europe.guideplus.com/)

The features and benefits are far too many to mention here so have a look at
http://tinyurl.com/55dwa to see it for yourself. OK, it cost us £499 from
www.digital-point.co.uk and it'll be outdated and probably obsolete within 6
months, but hey, it really is one of the best things we've ever bought in
the context of home entertainment.

Mogweed.