Lobster

John Rumm wrote:
brugnospamsia wrote:

Since the stair treads and risers need replacing anyway (though with luck
this would cost little more than the price of a sheet of MDF and one of
plywood), it has been suggested I might have new stairs made and
fitted in
reverse at an estimated cost of at least 」500.
In the process I also get improved use of the alcoves for storage ...

If you get someone to build and install a staircase for you, then I
would expect to pay a bit more than that, if you DIY then you could do
it for less. A compromise might be to get a staircase kit (screwfix do
one IIRC) if you can get one with appropriate rise and going, and
install that.

If you do need a bespoke staircase making up (which is common for an old
house with non-standard ceiling heights), can I strongly recommend
http://www.stairplan.co.uk - they recently made me an excellent quality
(straight) staircase to precisely my specifications, for 380 GBP incl
VAT and delivery.

David