Jeff Cochran

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:52:50 GMT, "John" wrote:

Where I live, and I suspect in most locations, a new circuit
requires a new permit. A subpanel certainly does.

I asked an electrical inspector (from whom I had just taken a home
electrical course) what was involved in getting a new transfer switch
inspected. He said that no one would get something as simple as a transfer
switch inspected; inspections were only for major projects. In the course
he said that technically changing a light switch requires an inspection, but
that it is never done. In order to affect your insurance (after a fire) the
insurance would have to prove that the uninspected work caused the fire, and
that the work was done negligently; a tall order.

Comments?

I'm surprised a transfer switch isn't an inspected item where you are,
here they are. Screwing one up can cause problems for line
technicians and others upstream.

But, as always, codes are interpreted and enforced locally, so relying
on anything anyone tells you in a forum like this is foolish.

Jeff