James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Thanks guys for all the help!

Just got back from Lowe's and here's what I have found. They carry a quad
30/40A switch for $12
and I could replace the current full size dryer breaker. From there, I
could run the 40A into a sub panel
which seems to run about $17 or so for a 6/12 circuit job.

I've just gotten the specs on the saw and it looks like they recommend a 20A
breaker for it (18A load). Couple that
with a 2hp 220V cyclone (10A draw) and it's looking more and more like I
will have to go the subpanel route. I
just can't remove the dryer circuit, replace with a 20/15 quad and keep the
dryer connection. So it's looking like
I'll probably go the route mentioned above (30/40A Quad and sub panel).
Moving circuits around would be a major
pain as the walls are fully finished. I looked for a feed through lug kit
and unfortunately, they didn't have any. I'm guessing
I could probably find a kit somewhere.

So it's looking like: 30/40A Quad ($12), Sub Panel ($17), Breakers for
subpanel ($15 or so), Ground bars, wire and misc. I might even
get through this for less than $75.

I really appreciate the help guys. My saw is arriving later this week and
I hate to get it and put it together only to sit until I get
power installed. I think now, I can get this done pretty quickly and for
not too much $$$.
Cheers,
cc

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
toller wrote:
One more thing I just thought of; if it's a 3-wire dryer circuit,
he can't move it to a subpanel and be kosher. It would have to be
4 wires if fed from a subpanel.

And that is because it is illegal to create a 3-wire dryer circuit
and the old one is grandfathered, or is it something to do with the
subpanel itself?

It is something to do with the subpanel itself -- the subpanel will have
its neutral buss isolated from the chassis. AFAIK, dryer circuits have
always needed 4 wires if fed from a subpanel because of this. (That's
why you can't have a 3-wire 120/240 circuit in a mobile home.)

If it the new circuit, he could move the waterpump. The ones I have seen
don't have neutrals.

It's not the new circuit, but that's a great idea anyway. :-)

Best regards,
Bob