zxcvbob

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
That sounds feasible -- but expensive. I would check for the availability
of a feed lug kit first, or move the dryer circuit to the new subpanel to
free up 2 slots in the main panel.

If the main panel is surface mounted, you can attach the subpanel to its
(hopefully) side knockouts with a 2" rigid conduit nipple and a few lock
nuts; it makes a neat installation.

Bob

Unfortunately the panel is recessed into drywall but fortunately, I'll be
putting
the subpanel right next to it (with a stud in between) so it shouldn't be
too difficult.

As far as I can tell, the only added expense I would have for what I had in
mind
vs. the feed lug approach would be the quad breaker ($25 or so online).
I'd still have to purchase the
sub-panel and breakers for it anyway. With your solution I'd have to get
the feed
lug kit but not sure what they cost. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for the help Bob!
cc

Feed lug kit is cheap, but may not be available.

The only thing you might be missing is that if you move the dryer to the
new subpanel you can avoid using a weird quad breaker that might be hard
to replace some day. A 50A or 60A 2-pole BR breaker should cost less
than $10 and be easy to find. But then again, it may not be feasible to
move the dryer to the subpanel -- I can't tell looking at it from here ;-)

Bob