HorneTD

Wayne Whitney wrote:
On 2005-01-04, Noozer wrote:

"Bennett Price" wrote:

It sounds as if the original receptacle was wired for two hots (black
and red). This is done, illegally I think, by breaking the little strap
on the receptacle that connects the two hot brass screws.

Illegally? I don't think so. It's quite acceptable to feed single outlets on
a dual recepticle from multiple circuits - if done correctly.

Doesn't doing this require that both circuits be protected by the same
circuit breaker, i.e. a double-pole breaker? It soounds like the OP
had separate OCPDs on the two legs of the multiwire duplex receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

In new installations all of the devices on a yoke or strap must be
deenergized by a single switch, breaker, or pull out but that
requirement is relatively recent. There is no requirement to alter
existing circuits when the code changes.
--
Tom H