Joseph Meehan

Wayne Whitney wrote:
On 2005-01-04, Noozer wrote:

"Bennett Price" wrote:

It sounds as if the original receptacle was wired for two hots
(black and red). This is done, illegally I think, by breaking the
little strap on the receptacle that connects the two hot brass
screws.

Illegally? I don't think so. It's quite acceptable to feed single
outlets on a dual recepticle from multiple circuits - if done
correctly.

Doesn't doing this require that both circuits be protected by the same
circuit breaker, i.e. a double-pole breaker? It soounds like the OP
had separate OCPDs on the two legs of the multiwire duplex receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

I don't think so, but I could be wrong and I would want to check it
before I did it. It is required to use the double breaker when wiring a
240V circuit, but this is two 120V circuits.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math