Noozer

"Bennett Price" wrote in message
It sounds as if the original receptacle was wired for two hots (black
and red). This is done, illegally I think, by breaking the little strap
on the receptacle that connects the two hot brass screws. (The white
neutral should go to the tin plated screws, the hot to the brass - the
short blade on the receptacle should be hot, the long blade should be
neutral.)

Illegally? I don't think so. It's quite acceptable to feed single outlets on
a dual recepticle from multiple circuits - if done correctly.

Sounds like it was originally wired properly and most likely to feed a
kitchen outlet.