HorneTD

Louis McEniry wrote:
Hello,

I dabble with electrical. And generally, I will 'copy' existing wiring so I
don't screw things up too much. I thought I was being very carefull to do
this in this case.

I moved a recepticle through a floor to have an extra plug in my bedroom. I
wrote the wiring scheme of the receptacle down so I could duplicate the
wiring upstairs.

It was a three wire, 12 guage, receptacle. Why its three wires, I don't
know.

The scheme on the back of the receptacle I though was:

Left side Right side
Black White

Red

From the fuse box, the black and Red wires were each on its own fuse, ie
both hot....again why, I do not know.

The problem is that the above scheme doesn't work... I can input one fuse,
but when putting in the second, it blows.

Can anyone help me ???

Thanks!

Louis

Louis
You have a multi wire branch circuit. The two receptacles are intended
to be on separate circuits. There is a small tab that connects the two
terminals to each other on each side of the receptacle. Use a needle
nosed plier to break off the tab between the black and red wires on the
brass screw side of the receptacle and you will eliminate the 240 volt
dead short you have created across the two brass screws. If you look at
the old receptacle very closely you will find that it had the connecting
tab on that side of the receptacle removed.
--
Tom H