Invest in a punch-down tool and buy a punch down block.

http://www.action-electronics.com/pps66.htm

Actually I know about the punch down block that you are referring to. I
am planning to install a punch down 110-distribution-block in the new
location. I just didn't think of using it as a large junction box. I
must admit that using it as a junction box is very attractive. But I
can see that I would have a hard time getting it in place in the
junction location (cannot see the wires individually).

I think I will use a jack-and-plug combo to join two sections of phone
line. This probably will have the least amount of untwisted wires (not
that this makes a difference for voice-grade phone line).
Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Jay Chan