D. J. Dorn

If you need the dado blade, it's a good choice but for your project, you
could build a Lynn's jig for about $6 and be able to do any size boxjoints
at any thickness you wanted with your standard 1/8 blade.

Don

"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in message
news
I'm in need of a good dado cutter to make 1/2" box joints in a drawer unit
I'm building. I currently have a carbide tipped wobble dado blade but its
setups are not accurately repeatable and the results look like the piece
has
been worked over by a dull toothed beaver. I've been looking at reviews
of
the Freud SD208 because it has carbide tips and it's less than half the
price of the Forrest Dado King.

I've seen comments, however, that the unit produces some chipping and/or
tearout, even in materials that would be considered easily machined. Is
this true? If so, how bad is the problem? Or are the complainers just
being too picky? I plan to use 1/2" Baltic birch ply for the drawer
boxes.

Obviously, I'd like my project to be as eye appealing as possible but for
the extra $150, I can live with some minor blemishes.