Mike Marlow

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message

On the other hand, people buy a bad/nasty/piece of crap tool
when they are starting out can become frustrated and give up
before they realize "they all aren't like that", after all,
"it's a Craftsman and they are the best" and walk away for
good/never to be heard from again.

Though with the Internet this is probably happening with
less frequency/they realize that there is something beyond
what they have.

Just a couple/few random thoughts. Please, talk amongst
yourselves.

I don't know. I think it's more true that people really do understand that
there are differing levels of quality and even accept, to a degree, that
entry level tools are not the highest quality, and accept them for what they
are. In some cases, this means they are all that is necessary for the
amount of use they will ever receive, or for the type of work they will ever
do, and in some cases it may mean that the user recognizes that they will
have to determine if they really even want to engage in a greater use of
tools before jumping in to bigger and better purchases. I really don't
believe a bad tool drives too many people away. Those who are really
interested to any degree are fully capable of understanding and recognizing
that better things are out there. I just don't buy the notion that bad
tools have ever caused people to abandon a pursuit. In fact, I'd argue that
quite the opposite is true. I'd argue that bad tools has caused many a
workman to develop better skills, greater understanding, and a better sense
of solving problems than the super dooper top of the line doomahickey.
--

-Mike-