John Rouse

Default Woodworm / furniture beetle infestation - what to do?

In article , Z
writes
I fear I have taken them home so I will need to treat my house as well
:-(

First find out if you have woodworm or something else.

I found castings, tiny sand coloured insects and dead beetles under the
fridge this morning when I pulled the refrigerator out to clean and
defrost it.

That doesn't sound like woodworm. They are small black flies which
usually head for the nearest window and kill themselves flying into the
glass.

These are the same species I have found at the properties I maintain.

Woodworm only thrive in cool damp places where timber is already rotten
or soft. I trust your properties are better maintained than this?

I will need to treat my own house myself.

If it is woodworm, simply drying it out and removing any soft or rotten
timber will get rid of them.

Any recommendations for chemicals? I can get out the house for a week in
May.

You could try the method that has been used for hundreds of years. Take
a bit of green ash, complete with the bark. Leave it in the house for a
year, and burn it on the 31st December, complete with woodworm larvae.

J.
--
John Rouse