mac davis

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:14:38 -0500, "Floyd \"Who\""
wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

While I was making shavings today, my wife came out and cranked up her
1" sander and sharpened lathe chisels for the first time.. free hand
with no guides and the table tilted out of her way..

Watching her work was amazing.. she's always had a thing for
sharpening, used to run a sharpening biz.. I have NO talent for
putting an edge on anything that isn't wood...

I was rounding a good size chunk of firewood at the time.. reached for
the large gouge and saw that she had it... she handed it back to me
and I started a cut...
Holy ****!! I just found out how dull my tools were...
I'm a believer now.. all this talk around here about sharpening is for
real...
It's like I've been using a butter knife and she just handed my a good
steak knife!!!

Me, the lathe klutz, is making long shavings like I read about here..
hot damn!!

Sorry for the rant, I had to share that...

Mac this is the web site you need to visit to sharpen lathe tools. I've
bought books, watched, thought but until I found this sight I couldn't
sharpen sharp tools. http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sharp.shtml

I showed that to her, Floyd... but she doesn't understand why a jig is
needed..

She does her sharpening free hand on her belt grinder and has been
using the grinding wheels to make me a few turning chisels.. NOW I
know what a bowl gouge is for!!! lol

BTW: Darrel's site is an excellent place to hang out.. I spend a lot
of time there..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing