mac davis

Default Holy S**t!! sharp chisels!

While I was making shavings today, my wife came out and cranked up her
1" sander and sharpened lathe chisels for the first time.. free hand
with no guides and the table tilted out of her way..

Watching her work was amazing.. she's always had a thing for
sharpening, used to run a sharpening biz.. I have NO talent for
putting an edge on anything that isn't wood...

I was rounding a good size chunk of firewood at the time.. reached for
the large gouge and saw that she had it... she handed it back to me
and I started a cut...
Holy ****!! I just found out how dull my tools were...
I'm a believer now.. all this talk around here about sharpening is for
real...
It's like I've been using a butter knife and she just handed my a good
steak knife!!!

Me, the lathe klutz, is making long shavings like I read about here..
hot damn!!

Sorry for the rant, I had to share that...

Bjarte Runderheim

"mac davis" skrev i melding

Holy ****!! I just found out how dull my tools were...
I'm a believer now.. all this talk around here about sharpening is for
real...
It's like I've been using a butter knife and she just handed my a good
steak knife!!!

Me, the lathe klutz, is making long shavings like I read about here..
hot damn!!

Sorry for the rant, I had to share that...

That is progress for you!
Congratulations on new insight and an important step towards
craftsmanship and more pleasu-)

Bjarte

George

Snot is swearing?

"Keith Young" wrote in message
WHAT is the purpose of MAKE BELIEVE SWEARING on the Subject line.

J. Clarke

Keith Young wrote:

WHAT is the purpose of MAKE BELIEVE SWEARING on the Subject line.

Get your mind out of the gutter. He meant "Holy Split" referring to what he
did to his finger when he jabbed one into it gdd&r.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Null Null

You are a lucky man.....wife sharpening your tools!
My wife runs all the kitchen knives through the dishwasher with the edges
banging around for 1/2 hour and then complains that she does not have sharp
knives. I have sharpened them a few times and patiently explained how the
dishwasher ruins the edge on the knives.......she still puts them through
the dishwasher.

I think it was Foghorn Leghorn (looney tunes) who said " listen to me, I'm
talking to you son.... its like I'm chopping but there's no chips flying,
listen to me son"

Sigh

"mac davis" wrote in message
While I was making shavings today, my wife came out and cranked up her
1" sander and sharpened lathe chisels for the first time.. free hand
with no guides and the table tilted out of her way..

Millers

Keith Young wrote:
WHAT is the purpose of MAKE BELIEVE SWEARING on the Subject line.

And real swearing in the body? Color me old fashioned, but I take
umbrage with that. There are likely ladies and youngsters here lurking
somewhere. I believe intelligent people can and should express
themselves creatively, but non-offensively...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Derek Andrews

mac davis wrote:
I just found out how dull my tools were...
I'm a believer now.. all this talk around here about sharpening is for
real...

If there are any other non-believers out there, pay attention. If there
is one thing you need to learn before anything else, it is how to tell
if your tools are dull, and then how to sharpen them.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

Ron Williams

Alan Lacer was at our club for a demo and hands-on December 3 & 4. Part of
the discussion was how we describe "sharp". When we say "sharp", just how
sharp do we mean? We talked about "sorta sharp". "pretty sharp", even
"scary sharp" (in a tongue-in-cheek shot at some of us, Alan talked bout
"bowl-turner sharp"!)

Alan said you know you've got it really, really sharp when you bring your
finger to within a 16th of the point, and it just starts to bleed. I guess
that would be "Holy S**t sharp".

I had a friend who drank a lot, and his ideal wife owned a liquor store.
Now a turner who marries a woman who owns a sharpening business... :-)

Happy turning!

Ron Williams
Minn-Dak Woodturners
Moorhead, MN

mac davis

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:48:18 GMT, "Bjarte Runderheim"
wrote:

"mac davis" skrev i melding
.. .

Holy ****!! I just found out how dull my tools were...
I'm a believer now.. all this talk around here about sharpening is for
real...
It's like I've been using a butter knife and she just handed my a good
steak knife!!!

Me, the lathe klutz, is making long shavings like I read about here..
hot damn!!

Sorry for the rant, I had to share that...

That is progress for you!
Congratulations on new insight and an important step towards
craftsmanship and more pleasu-)

Bjarte

thanks.. and she did the skew again today because some dumb **** tried
to get a bowl just a little better and nicked a faceplate screw
*blush*

mac davis

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:30:37 -0800, "Null Null"
wrote:

You are a lucky man.....wife sharpening your tools!
My wife runs all the kitchen knives through the dishwasher with the edges
banging around for 1/2 hour and then complains that she does not have sharp
knives. I have sharpened them a few times and patiently explained how the
dishwasher ruins the edge on the knives.......she still puts them through
the dishwasher.

I think it was Foghorn Leghorn (looney tunes) who said " listen to me, I'm
talking to you son.... its like I'm chopping but there's no chips flying,
listen to me son"

Sigh

My wife does the same thing to the knives... but then she sharpens
them, so I don't say a word.. lol

Yep.. chips and shavings... I was like a little kid!
I turned off the DC so I could keep some shavings to show her..lol

mac davis

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:36:47 -0800, "Keith Young"
wrote:
old habit from when Al Gore & I invented the internet..
no profanity on subject line...

WHAT is the purpose of MAKE BELIEVE SWEARING on the Subject line.

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

mac davis

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:17:27 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Keith Young wrote:

WHAT is the purpose of MAKE BELIEVE SWEARING on the Subject line.

Get your mind out of the gutter. He meant "Holy Split" referring to what he
did to his finger when he jabbed one into it gdd&r.

hey.. like it says on my grand kid's bib:
spit happens..
mac davis

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:22:17 GMT, Derek Andrews
wrote:

mac davis wrote:
I just found out how dull my tools were...
I'm a believer now.. all this talk around here about sharpening is for
real...

If there are any other non-believers out there, pay attention. If there
is one thing you need to learn before anything else, it is how to tell
if your tools are dull, and then how to sharpen them.

I agree in most cases, Derek, but not in my case...
not only is my wife great at it, I really, really, suck..
I never could get a decent edge on a knife, ax, chisel, drill or
anything else..
I'm hopeless at sharpening..
Kevin

Sometime back ( a year or so?) on either this or the rec.woodworking group,
there was a nice bit about sharpening- kindova take off on the scary sharp
method with DEATH sharpening his sythe. If I remember correctly the last
thing DEATH used to sharpen on was the photons of the dawn light. A pretty
funnny bit.

"Ron Williams" wrote in message
Alan Lacer was at our club for a demo and hands-on December 3 & 4. Part

of
the discussion was how we describe "sharp". When we say "sharp", just how
sharp do we mean? We talked about "sorta sharp". "pretty sharp", even
"scary sharp" (in a tongue-in-cheek shot at some of us, Alan talked bout
"bowl-turner sharp"!)

Alan said you know you've got it really, really sharp when you bring your
finger to within a 16th of the point, and it just starts to bleed. I

guess
that would be "Holy S**t sharp".

I had a friend who drank a lot, and his ideal wife owned a liquor store.
Now a turner who marries a woman who owns a sharpening business... :-)

Happy turning!

Ron Williams
Minn-Dak Woodturners
Moorhead, MN

Peter Teubel

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:52:34 GMT, mac davis wrote:

I'm a believer now.. all this talk around here about sharpening is for
real...

I'm very fastidious about sharp lathe tools. Not so much a honed and stropped edge, but a good sharp edge off a well tuned
grinder. You can see me sharpening every couple of minutes when I'm doing production bowl work. That's why I go through grinding
wheels every 6 months and a 1/2 bowl gouge last me about 14 months before its too short to use.

My friends call me the "Sharpening Nazi". When I'm teaching and a student calls me over, the first thing I ask is if they have
sharpened their tool withing the last minute or so. If not, I tell them to sharpen and THEN call me over. That fact alone usually
solves their "problem".

A sharp tool can make *ALL* the difference.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
mac davis

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:52:02 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

The worth of a woman is far above that of
rubies...................especially one who can sharpen like that!

Barry

for sure, Barry.. and she makes biscuits and gravy from scratch...
whatta woman!!
Floyd \Who\

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

[...]

Mac this is the web site you need to visit to sharpen lathe tools. I've
bought books, watched, thought but until I found this sight I couldn't
sharpen sharp tools. http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sharp.shtml

--
To reply drop "spam" from the email address

"woodturning" The ability to turn useful material to sawdust

Floyd "Who"
mac davis

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:14:38 -0500, "Floyd \"Who\""
wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

[...]

I showed that to her, Floyd... but she doesn't understand why a jig is
needed..

She does her sharpening free hand on her belt grinder and has been
using the grinding wheels to make me a few turning chisels.. NOW I
know what a bowl gouge is for!!! lol

BTW: Darrel's site is an excellent place to hang out.. I spend a lot
of time there..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing