DoN. Nichols

In article , Rex B wrote:
Sounds like you are biased against the 7x12 Asians, but I'd expect this
to be the best bang-for-the buck with the conditions you specified. You
might also look at the 8x14 variants, such as Lathemaster.com and others
sell.

One consideration is how *long* the workpiece needs to be at 6"
diameter. While most of the above will swing 6" above the bed, check
the spec for how large a workpiece it will swing above the cross-slide.
This is *always* smaller than the swing above the bed, and sometimes as
little as half of that size -- especially on a strong machine.

Next step up would be the 9-inch old iron. I have a Logan 9x17 that
does everything I've needed, and is a quality US machine. Other good
choices include Southbend.

That sounds good to me.

Avoid the 9x20 Asians unless you find a bargain ($350)
I would also avoid the Atlas machines, again unless you find a
pristine machine at a great price. Beyond that almost any 10" to 12"
lathe in good condition will work well for you.

And what *I* settled on is a 12x24" Clausing, which I can
certify does allow turning a 6" diameter workpiece above the
cross-slide, as I have done so.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564