On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:20:58 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Ignoramus22732" wrote in message
I am demolishing a huge 8 kVa UPS. Lots of nice wires, screws etc.

It has a large transformer, it weighs around 200 lbs. It comes from a
that 8 KVA Ferrups UPS. There is a super heavy square shaped copper
wire on it, which, I fancy, could sell for some money. This wire is
something like 3x8 mm in cross section. Very heavy stuff. So, if I
somehow manage to pull the transformer apart, I would, first, able to
throw the steel part to garbage, and second, to get and sell copper
wire. i would also keep some of this copper wire for home uses such as
grounding wire for my generator.

Without taking it apart I will not be able to do anything with this
monstrosity, not even throw it away.

This is a specialty transformer with lots of contacts, so I do not
think that I could sell it. (another, smaller like 50 lbs transformer
is an isolation transformer which I hope to sell for at least
something. Also, there are 8 1.2 farad capacitors)

So... How do I take it apart? It was assembled from steel plates, can
it be therefore disassembled?

Here in upstate NY, an entire lake was contaminated with PCBs by some guy
"salvaging" transformers at the shoreline. The fish are no longer safe to
eat. You may want to investigate further what may be inside that transformer
of yours before disassembling it. Perhaps your state's environmental
conservation department, or local department of solid waste could assist in
finding out more. Or, the manufacturer.

From OP's original description I don't think that's a problem here.
The PCBs are in the oil in some transformers. If the transformer
wasn't immersed in an oil bath, no problem.

(If there was oil in this thing there's a significant problem. Not
only do PCBs contaminate the environment, they can give you a nasty
skin condition if you handle a quantity of them.)

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.