Harold & Susan Vordos

"Ignoramus22732" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:49:43 -0800, Harold & Susan Vordos

wrote:

"Ignoramus22732" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:04:05 -0600, Tim Williams

wrote:
snip-----

Hm, I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that transformer steel is not
worth anything. Should I call some scrap yards? Suppose that I have
150 lbs of transformer steel. Are we talking about a $5 value, $10,
$100 etc?

Cores for transformers are generally made from carbon free iron (Armco

iron)
so there's no chance that the core can become permanently magnetized.

Heat
treated steel has the ability to retain magnetism, whereas carbon free
material does not. Scrap steel is selling for $85/ton right now, and
they'll likely see it as scrap steel. If not, perhaps they'll pay

either
light steel prices or cast iron prices. Regardless, it has value.

Doesn't
everything, if you have enough of it?

So, best case, $5 or so for the core. Not worth even opening yellow
pages.

Am I correct though, that the large copper wires are worth something?

Yep, right now they're worth $1.02/lb. Here's a link that will tell
you current market scrap prices.

http://www.recycle.net/price/metals.html

Now, that's not bad at all. Thanks. Should I look up yellow pages under
recycling, or perhaps find a buyer for bare copper wire on ebay?
Again, in any case I will keep a substantial quantity for my future
projects. One current project would use this for generator ground.

I can't imagine you'd have much advantage trying to sell the copper on ebay.
You'd likely lose money on the deal by the time you paid for the listing.
Look in the yellow pages for yards that recycle metals. When you find the
right one, you should be able to sell the copper and the iron at the same
time. It's not much money for the iron, but it will pay for the gas for your
trip, so take it along, anyway, or ask them by telephone if they accept such
things, and what they pay. It doesn't hurt to ask each yard what they pay.
Some pay more than others.

Harold